Simplify the management of your windows network.
- Up and running in 5 minutes
- Agent less - No need to install anything on the endpoints
- Free download - No registration required
How to install the Group Policy Management Console Tools (GPMC) on Windows Server 2016
Group Policy Management Background
Over the past versions of Windows Server the tools used to manage Group Policy have matured and the names have changed over time. Originally Group Policy was managed with the Active Directory Tools. Next a dedicated Group Policy Management Tool called the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) was released, this tool replaced the Group Policy functionality in the Active Directory Tools. In Windows Server 2016 the Group Policy Management Tools are simply named Group Policy Management.
Prerequisites for installing Group Policy Management Console (GPMC)
You will require a Windows Server 2016 computer with the “Graphical Management Tools and Infrastructure” installed to install the Active Directory Management Tools using the Server Manager graphical user interface.
Instructions for installing Group Policy Management
To install Group Policy Management Tools (GPMC) on Windows Server 2016 please follow these instructions.
- Open the Windows Server 2016 Server Manager Dashboard. If Server Manager does not start by default press the “Windows + R” keys, Type “servermanager” in the “Open” field and press “Enter” or click the OK button.
- In the Server Manager main window, click “Add roles and features”.
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” under “Installation Type” check the “Role-based or feature-based installation” radio button and click “Next”
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” under “Server Selection” check the “Select a server from the server pool” radio button, select the server you want to install the Group Policy Management Console Tools (GPMC) on and click “Next”
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” under “Server Roles” click “Next”
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” under “Features” scroll down and check “Group Policy Management”. Click “Next” If prompted to install any supporting roles accept the defaults and continue.
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” at the “Confirmation” page click “Install” to begin the installation of the Group Policy Management Tools.
- The installation of the Group Policy Management Tools will begin and the progress will be displayed. This installation should not require a restart of the server.
- The Group Policy Management Tools can now be found under the “Tools” menu in “Server Manager”.