Simplify the management of your windows network.
- Up and running in 5 minutes
- Agent less - No need to install anything on the endpoints
- Free download - No registration required
How to install Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) on Windows 10 Version 1809 and Later
Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) Background
The Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) have been with Windows since Windows 2000. On various versions of Windows the tools are sometimes included and sometimes they need to be downloaded from the Microsoft website and installed. Before Windows 10 Version 1709 and 1803 the tools need to be downloaded from the Microsoft website and installed. With Windows 10 version 1809 and later the tools are included with the operating system installation but they need to be enabled. With Windows 7 and Windows Vista the tools need to be downloaded, installed and enabled.
The Following Tools are Included with Remote Server Administration Tools:
- SMTP Server Tools
- Hyper-V Management Tools
- Hyper-V Module for Windows PowerShell
- Hyper-V GUI Management Tools
- Windows Server Update Services Tools
- API and PowerShell cmdlets
- User Interface Management Console
- Active Directory Users and Computers Snap-in
- Active Directory Sites and Services Snap-in
- Active Directory Domains and Trusts Snap-in
- Active Directory Administrative Center Snap-in
- ADSI Edit Snap-in
- Active Directory Schema Snap-in (Not Registered)
- Active Directory Command Line Tools
- Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell
- IIS Management Tools
- IIS Management Console
- IIS Management Compatibility
- Feature Tools
- Remote Desktop Services Tools
- Role Tools
- Update Services Tools
- Group Policy Tools
Instructions for Installing Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) on Windows 10 Version 1809 and Newer
There is no need to download the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT). In Windows 10 post Version 1809 the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) are included as part of the operating system installation. However, they still need to be installed / enabled.
- To check your version of Windows press the “Windows + R” keys, type “winver” in the “Open” field and press “Enter” or click the OK button.
- If you are running a Windows 10 Version prior to 1809 please see How to install Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) on Windows 10 Version 1709, Windows 10 Version 1803, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
- To open Windows Settings, press the “Windows + S” keys, type “settings” and press “Enter”.
- In Windows Settings click on “Apps” to open “Apps and Features”.
- Under Apps and Features click “Manage optional features”.
- Under Optional features click “Add a feature”.
- Scroll down and find the features starting with “RSAT”. Click on each feature starting with “RSAT” and click “Install”. Make sure to install the “Server Manager” feature.
- To access the RSAT tools launch the Server Manager. Press the “Windows + R” keys, type “ServerManager” in the “Open” field and press “Enter” or click the OK button. The RSAT tools are found under the “Tools” menu.