Simplify the management of your windows network.
- Up and running in 5 minutes
- Agent less - No need to install anything on the endpoints
- Free download - No registration required
How to install Active Directory Management Tools on Windows Server 2012
Active Directory Tools Background
The Active Directory Management Tools have been with Windows Server since Windows Server 2000. These tools were later released as part of a separate installation package called Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) that could be installed on the client/professional versions of the Windows operation system.
The following tools are included as part of the installation:
- Active Directory Users and Computers Snap-in
- Active Directory Sites and Services Snap-in
- Active Directory Domains and Trusts Snap-in
- Active Directory Administrative Center Snap-in
- ADSI Edit Snap-in
- Active Directory Schema Snap-in (Not Registered)
- Active Directory Command Line Tools
- Active Directory Module for Windows PowerShell
Prerequisites for installing Active Directory Management Tools
You will require a Windows Server 2012 computer with the “Graphical Management Tools and Infrastructure” installed to install the Active Directory Management Tools using the Server Manager graphical user interface.
Instructions for installing Active Directory Management Tools
To install Active Directory Management Tools on Windows Server 2012 please follow these instructions.
- On the Windows Server 2012 open Server Manager. If Server Manager does not start by default press the “Windows + R” keys, Type “ServerManager” in the “Open” field and press “Enter” or click the OK button.
- On the Server Manager main windows Click “Add roles and features”.
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” under “Installation Type” check the “Role-based or feature-based installation” radio button and click “Next”
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” under “Server Selection” check the “Select a server from the server pool” radio button, select the server you want to install the Active Directory Tools on and click “Next”
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” under “Server Roles” click “Next”
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” under “Features” expand “Remote Server Administration Tools”, expand “Role Administration Tools” and check “AD DS and AD LDS Tools”. Click “Next”. If prompted to install any supporting roles accept the defaults and continue.
- In the “Add Roles and Features Wizard” at the “Confirmation” page click “Install” to begin the installation of the AD Tools
- The installation of the Active Directory Management Tools will begin and the progress will be displayed. You may be required to restart the server after the installation is complete.